Kay Johnson Gee is a 6 partner firm offering a full range of accounting services including audit, accounts preparation, tax planning, corporate recovery, corporate finance and forensic accounting. The firm deals with a wide range of predominantly owner-managed businesses ranging from new start-ups to companies with turnover in excess of £100m.
Although we have specialists offering a range of accountancy, taxation and advisory services, we pride ourselves as working as a single team. Our clients therefore receive the support they need, always under the supervision of a dedicated partner.
About the role
Reporting to the Payroll Manager, the jobholder is part of a team responsible for processing various client payrolls accurately and on-time. The jobholder will undertake all elements of payroll; from inputting data, processing, HMRC and pension submissions and notifications, payroll reconciliation and BACS processing. The jobholder will assist the Payroll Manager by having extensive knowledge of payroll processes and procedures and will assist with providing payroll related advice, guidance and support to all team members and clients. The Job Holder will be expected to be the Payroll Point of Contact in the absence of the Payroll Manager. The role is integral to our “Payroll Services” team within the company. This means the jobholder will be working alongside a group of people who are all focused promoting a successful service that operates efficiency through exceptional processing skills and knowledge for payroll services.
- Administer and run all payrolls listed on their portfolio in accordance with operating procedures and deadlines ensuring that all payrolls are processed efficiently, effectively, accurately and are paid on time working to strict deadlines;
- Ensure starters and leavers are processed correctly and in a timely manner, and that all adjustments for sickness or other items are processed correctly;
- Validate all payroll data with clients prior to processing and ensures that submissions, including those to the general ledger where relevant, are correctly validated and reconciled to maintain accuracy, completeness and timeliness of data and accounting records;
- Assists the team in the maintenance of all pension records in line with the regulations set out by the Pension schemes and the Trust’s requirements. Processes payments and statutory/voluntary deductions in accordance with instruction procedures;
- Completes and returns, payroll data to other third party organisations such as HMRC, pension providers, courts and Child Support Agency;
- Is responsible for accurate and complete year end processes and submissions including meeting strict deadlines set by HMRC;
- Assists in the maintenance of all payroll records in line with the regulations set out by the Pension schemes and the Pensions Regulator
- Works with the team, being a senior point of contact, to ensure that queries and problems are resolved promptly, delivering excellent customer service standards;
- Provides senior departmental cover as and when required according to Manager’s instructions;
- Ensures and maintains strict confidentiality over employee data and information, ensuring full compliance with the Data Protection Act provision;
- Assists, and in some cases leads in the review and development of payroll processes, procedures and systems;
- Assists in maintaining and archiving payroll data and records in a safe manner to ensure compliance with data protection regulations.
- Accountable for assisting with meeting challenging KPIs and team targets, providing support to the Payroll Manager with day to day guidance and direction.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
Detailed requirements for technical knowledge, skills and abilities for this position are outlined in the person specification. The jobholder will have a track record of proven experience in the above key accountabilities, specifically within a high volume and fast paced environment.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience working as a payroll professional within a busy and effective payroll environment, preferably payroll bureau;
- Working knowledge of RTI and Auto Enrolment;
- Previous experience of computerised payroll processing, payroll laws and regulations;
- Possess a basic knowledge of Benefit structure and taxation implications (pension, PMI, childcare vouchers, salary sacrifice and GAYE)
- Excellent systems experience including proficiency in Microsoft Excel (Intermediate level such as pivot tables and v look ups), Word, and PowerPoint. Good working knowledge of computerised payroll systems;
- Demonstrated mathematical and analytical knowledge for the ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem;
- Extensive experience with the operation and calculation of SSP, SMP, SPP and SAP, CSA and Court Orders
- Experience in dealing with third parties such as the DWP, HMRC and Courts.
- Accurate and up to date knowledge of employment law in respect of payroll/ pension processing and payroll best practice;
- Experience in processing pension deductions and dealing with pension providers
- Experience of working for clients
- Previous experience of administration of Pension schemes;
- Knowledge of STAR Payroll Professional and BrightPay systems;
Skills and Abilities
- Carries out individual responsibilities within a team
- Shares information and ideas across the team and contributes towards team development and performance to achieve goals;
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic, and preserves in order to achieve results and meet deadlines;
- Maintains effective performance under pressure but knows when to ask for assistance from appropriate individuals;
- Able to communicate information and ideas (written or orally) in a clear, concise manner;
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to improve current processes and contributes ideas to continuously improve the quality of service provided by the function;
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times and respects the rights and feelings of others;
- Understands the importance of confidentiality, financial controls and payroll procedures;
- Pays care and attention to the quality of work output.
- Continues to learn and develop the competencies required for current and future roles;
- Understands the goals and strategies of the company and aligns own work accordingly. Understands how the job responsibilities relate to the larger work of the company;
- Able to work independently under own direction and initiative in a time sensitive environment.
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload, multi-task, adapt quickly to change, and deliver under the pressure of deadlines.
- Communicates complex concepts and issues effectively;
- Demonstrates high standards of conduct which are not compromised even under highly stressful circumstances
- Assists the Payroll Manager in maintaining relationships with other functions. Is proactive in assisting others to resolve issues.
- Ability to meet job requirements
- Meets legislative requirements governing the right to work in the UK;
- Very fluent in English;
- Willing to work overtime as needed to meet requirements;
On average our employees stay with us for over 10 years. The role has come about due to an employee retiring.
KJG has a social committee who organise quarterly social events including a wide variety of activities.
Recently moved into new offices due to expansion. Great central location in Manchester, 5 minutes’ walk away from Deansgate
- 23 days holiday
- Birthday off
- Pension scheme
- Company events
- Death in service
- Flexible working
- Dress to diary
£26,000 – £29,000pa depending on experience.
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.