The Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BBLS) is now available to businesses through a number of lenders across the UK. Below we explain the process.
How To Apply
- Find a lender – click HERE to see a full list of accredited lenders.
- Approach a lender – you should approach a lender yourself, the fastest way is via their website. In the first instance we recommend you approach your own provider. You will need to fill in a short application form which self-certifies that your business is eligible for a loan under BBLS. If your business is eligible, it will be subject to appropriate customer fraud, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customer (KYC) checks. Some state aid restrictions may apply to your application.
- The lender makes a decision – the lender has the authority to decide whether to offer you finance. Under the scheme, lenders are not permitted to:
- take any form of personal guarantee
- take recovery action over a borrower’s personal assets (such as their main home or personal vehicle)
- If the lender declines your application – if a lender turns you down, you can still approach other lenders within the scheme. The BBLS is designed to be fast for lenders to process and quick and easy for businesses to access. To help achieve this, you will only be required to fill out a short application form online.
Who Is Eligible
The business must be able to self‑certify to the lender that it:
- has been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic
- was not a business in difficulty at 31st December 2019
- is engaged in trading or commercial activity in the UK and was established by 1st March 2020
- is not using the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS), the Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CLBILS) or the Bank of England’s Covid Corporate Financing Facility Scheme (CCFF), unless the Bounce Back Loan will refinance the whole of the CBILS, CLBILS or CCFF facility
- is not in bankruptcy or liquidation or undergoing debt restructuring at the time it submits its application for finance
- derives more than half of its income from its trading activity (this requirement does not apply to charities or further-education colleges)
- is not in a restricted sector listed below
Please Note: The above is not an exhaustive list – see HERE for more information.
Bounce Back Loans are available to businesses in all sectors except the following:
- Credit institutions (falling within the remit of the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive)
- Insurance companies
- Public-sector organisations
- State-funded primary and secondary schools